Friday 14 March 2014

Eva Hesse - Instillation Idea

Eva Hesse







(http://web.colby.edu/kksulliv/ar-138/favorite-works-and-artists/eva-hesse-2/)


After speaking to Jed he told me to look at Eva Hesse, an American sculptor and painter. Her first exhibition took place in the Kunsthalle, Dusseldorf, Germany. The work consisted of 14 papier-mache reliefs which was wrapped in cord-wrapped wires embedded, dangling or projecting from the pieces. 


"In the years before her early death Hesse's sculpture grew in scale and daring from easel-sized reliefs to Expanded Expansion(1969; New York, Guggenheim), whose latex-covered cheesecloth ‘curtains', draped between 16 plexiglass poles (h. 3.1 m), are extendable laterally, and Right After (1969; Milwaukee, WI, A. Mus.), whose light-filled fibreglass strands are suspended irregularly in space, usually up to c. 5 m wide. Her mature sculpture abounds in contradictions: chaos and order, organic and geometric, absurd and tragic. Hesse was one of the first and most influential artists to question the austere, immobile exactitude of serial Minimalism and imbue it with a capacity to move, change and vary from the norm like a living being." ELLEN H. JOHNSON

I really liked the way her material is placed onto the floor in this image above. Jed suggested to think about how I could incorporate the material I used in my images with the finished images and how I could maybe bring more depth to the overall outcome by attaching the material somehow to the final images. If I wanted to do this I would need to contact a fashion design student to help me layout the material. This is an option for the future when I am able to spend more money on the print size but the idea is there.




No comments:

Post a Comment